Monday, May 21, 2012

healthy mind, healthy heart

This weekend I went to sort through books at Barnes & Noble online to create a rough draft summer reading list. As I was scrolling through the usual favorites: the Pretty Little Liars series, easy read books by Lauren Conrad, and other novels about all things love and revenge, all of which I quickly wrote down, I couldn't help but wonder- what am I feeding my mind?

I looked at the list of books I've read as of late: "Wanted", "Heartless", "Killer", "Wicked". All titles full of anger and rage. Then I looked at the list I'd began to create: "The Fame Game", "Twisted", "Stolen". What is this?! What kind of reflection do these titles about my life?

My pastor this week shared one of the best quotes this week:
"If you want to know where your heart is, look where your mind goes when it wanders."
-Anonymous
 
Are the things I'm filling my mind with, although I read them very innocently, healthy for my heart? The time I have to actually read for pleasure is slim to none. It's cherished to say the least. Why wouldn't I use this time to read things of encouragement and love? Things a woman of God should be reading.

All of this to say, I stumbled upon a book worth reading. I was quickly enticed by two things: the fact she is a blogger, and the beautiful cover :)

Ever heard of it? 
I quickly read the most beautiful description:

Psst . . . pull up a chair and I'll tell you a secret. 
 You'd better lean in close for this one. 
Ready? 
You don't have to do more, be more, have more. 
I'm sure there are security alarms going off somewhere. You should probably hide this book when your in-laws come over. But it's true. 
It's the kind of true that will change your life, set you free, and make you wake up smiling for the first time in a long time. 
I know because that's what it did for me. . . . 
So watch out, sister. 
If you keep reading you just might be next.

Holy moly! What a breath of fresh air- right?!
I can't wait to start this one.
Anyone wanna read it with me? I'd love to start an online book club :)

xo.




6 comments:

Carlee, Little Sloth said...

I love this post. Really inspiring. Also sounds like you got some good reading for this summer.
Carlee

http://allthingsaveragegirl.blogspot.com/

Ioana-Carmen said...

Lovely!

Unknown said...

I needed a book to read! Yay!

Sarah B. said...

Wow, this sounds like a beautiful read!!

Mae said...

Sounds amazing!!!!

Megan said...

Very inspiring post! You have such a cute blog!